Hi @Brodie 28 ,
thank you for reaching out!
What formats does Photon currently support for export?
As of the current version (Beta 1.0.4) Photon exports LUTs in CUBE format (15x15x15, 32x32x32, 64x64x64) and images as JPEG, PNG and TIFF.
Will Photon support loading and stacking multiple 3D LUT files?
Yes - Photon allows you to load and combine an infinite amount of LUTs that can be mixed with or added to each other. Mixing and adding LUTs and grade versions currently works differently in Photon than what you might expect from node or layer based systems.
Photon has a feature called Snapshots. You can take snapshots of your current grade and also import LUTs from the LUT library as a snapshot. Here's a basic introduction to working with LUTs as snapshots: https://hub.color.io/post/photon---editing-existing-luts-5eb6dc5ba0e20110e462983a31
In the case of ImpulZ Cineon workflow you would:
- Go to the LUT Library in Photon and click on the [ + ] icon at the top right to permanently add an ImpulZ folder to your library.
- Find a negative stock ending with the CIN suffix and click [ + ] to add the LUT into your Snapshot collection. The LUT item will flash green to confirm that it has been added. You can repeat this for as many LUTs as you like. Close the Library panel when you're done.
- You will now see the LUTs in your snapshot panel. When you select them they will be mixed into your current grade and you can adjust the intensity of the mix. If you've not made any adjustments previous to the Cineon LUT you can simply click "Apply" to replace your current grade with the Cineon LUT.
- Any transformations you make are now based on the Cineon LUT.
It's currently (Beta 1.0.4) not possible to add multiple decoupled LUT instances that work like independent layers or nodes so you'd need to ensure that your custom grades are made in Cineon LOG if you're planning to add a LOG to Rec709 Film Print LUT in a third step.
To preview the look of your current grade under a Film Print LUT:
- Import a film print LUT as a snapshot
- Select the Snapshot from the list
- Switch the LUT mixing mode from "Mix" to "Add"
- To merge the Film Print into your current grade click apply or hit enter. If you only want to preview what your grade looks like through the film print click cancel or hit escape.
We realize that this is not really the ideal workflow for this pretty common use-case. It should be possible to permanently grade "under a LUT" and I've written an internal proposal for a layer based system within Photon in response to your question.